Episode 1

Postby Jeff Probst » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:17:09 am

OfflineJeff Probst
    Host
    This will be ongoing until Monday, but...

Tyrone wrote:I like nearly everyone on my tribe. I like HoHo, Dan and Jill the most but Jane, she creep the hell out of me.

icon_lol icon_lol icon_lol icon_lol

Re: Episode 1

Postby Mia Galeotalanza » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:31:43 am

OfflineMia Galeotalanza
    Host
    To Russell:

Jeff Probst wrote:Are you going to continue the accent throughout the game? Do you think that that will hurt or help your chamces

icon_lol

You sneaky bastard.

Postby Helen Glover » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:42:05 am

OfflineHelen Glover
    Host
    Can someone explain to me why Jimmy J even applied for this? I stopped reading his confessional after the third time he said "I'm getting eliminated by episode three no matter what I do it's inevitable" in case he actually explained anything past that mark. But seriously, typical self-deprecation is typical, but this kid is essentially trying to fail (and not in an awesomely entertaining Ted way).

Postby Jeff Probst » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:46:24 am

OfflineJeff Probst
    Host
    I think he'll be alright Helen.

What's going to be interesting is seeing the flop since the mentality of us vs the. Has already set in and he styles of play are soooo different. I mean even someone like yve who is an incredibly seasoned vet but is playing as a news has a different outlook on the game than those who are on palena. It'll be interesting to see how they interact and which style of gameplay wins out. The pacing of the game will be bizarre I think, but hopefully in a new an interesting way.

Postby Chad Crittenden » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:11:45 pm

OfflineChad Crittenden
    Host
    I really don't get what Jimmy J is trying to accomplish. I mean I could maybe understand if he was trying to play in character. But he doesn't even know who Jimmy Johnson is. So this is just what he does? I'm so glad we didn't have people like this on our season. It would have driven me nuts. The closest I can think of was Caryn, but at least she was funny and didn't just say fuck every other word thinking she was tough or something. I really don't understand this schtick at all.

Jimmy J to Marty
    I doubt it, Marty. Feel free to call me Jimmy. Or James. I don't actually care either way.

One rule of talking to me. I don't know who the fuck you are. Where the fuck you're from. Why the fuck you're here. But you can be fucking sure I'll be straight with you, and you better be fucking straight with me. Am I clear?

Jimmy J to Yve
    People this age. Nobody fuckin' READS anymore, if they did, they'd understand basic fuckin rules of grammar.

And no. You cannot be my 'new best friend'. That requires me being here to make fuckin' friends. You can be a pal. A buddy. An acquaintance. Not a fuckin 'new best friend'. What kinda bullshit is that? Basic thing about bluntness - be fuckin' straight with people. Don't. Sugarcoat. ANYTHING. For ANY reason. It's not fuckin' necessary and nobody fuckin' wants it.

And wasn't this the guy who on his app said he played in ORGs to meet new people and make friends? He's not doing it right.

What's interesting is no one has seemed to comment on him to each other yet. I will keep looking.

Postby Jeff Probst » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:20:10 pm

OfflineJeff Probst
    Host
    Chad Crittenden wrote:I really don't get what Jimmy J is trying to accomplish. I mean I could maybe understand if he was trying to play in character. But he doesn't even know who Jimmy Johnson is. So this is just what he does? I'm so glad we didn't have people like this on our season. It would have driven me nuts. The closest I can think of was Caryn, but at least she was funny and didn't just say fuck every other word thinking she was tough or something. I really don't understand this schtick at all.

Jimmy J to Marty
    I doubt it, Marty. Feel free to call me Jimmy. Or James. I don't actually care either way.

One rule of talking to me. I don't know who the fuck you are. Where the fuck you're from. Why the fuck you're here. But you can be fucking sure I'll be straight with you, and you better be fucking straight with me. Am I clear?

Jimmy J to Yve
    People this age. Nobody fuckin' READS anymore, if they did, they'd understand basic fuckin rules of grammar.

And no. You cannot be my 'new best friend'. That requires me being here to make fuckin' friends. You can be a pal. A buddy. An acquaintance. Not a fuckin 'new best friend'. What kinda bullshit is that? Basic thing about bluntness - be fuckin' straight with people. Don't. Sugarcoat. ANYTHING. For ANY reason. It's not fuckin' necessary and nobody fuckin' wants it.

And wasn't this the guy who on his app said he played in ORGs to meet new people and make friends? He's not doing it right.

What's interesting is no one has seemed to comment on him to each other yet. I will keep looking.

Maybe we'll put a strict ban on schticks next season. Haha, we had to do that at one point.

But then again, I would do most of the casting for a normal season, this time it was kind of like okay who are some entertaining gamers who havent played stranded and brenda went out and found like 20 of them so we just picked the best of the crop... Next time it'll be more integrated like Costa Rica was with some brand new players to gaming.

Not to say that this cast is bad, they're great, but we'll get less schtick and more new people next time for sure.

Postby Brenda Lowe » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:26:44 pm

OfflineBrenda Lowe
    Host
    I'm scratching my head at JJ myself. This is not him at all. It's not quite a schtick per se, more he's trying a different approach to the game - coming from a defeatist angle and seeing how well he can do with it if you follow? Trouble is, I'd like to see his genuine thoughts in his confessional, but I know when he's played into character before he goes all the way and does confessionals in persona too :/ If he's insisting on playing this way, I'd much rather he explain himself in private. I'm gonna see if I can coax that out of him to at least fill us in on his approach, without affecting his game.

Postby Jeff Probst » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:38:40 pm

OfflineJeff Probst
    Host
    I was going to say, you can totally break the 4th wall and talk to him candidly about what he's doing because you werent' expecting this from him.

Postby Mia Galeotalanza » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:42:06 pm

OfflineMia Galeotalanza
    Host
    How many of us were actually new to gaming in Costa Rica?

This season just seems chocked full of season players, which gives it a completely different feel. Even it being my first game, I could tell that CR was filled with people that had done it before and people that hadn't. This just feels like everyone is going all out and trying to schtick it to us, which is honestly a little less fun. Hopefully that fades away soon once people have to really start strategizing.

Postby Jeff Probst » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:46:19 pm

OfflineJeff Probst
    Host
    Mia Galeotalanza wrote:How many of us were actually new to gaming in Costa Rica?

This season just seems chocked full of season players, which gives it a completely different feel. Even it being my first game, I could tell that CR was filled with people that had done it before and people that hadn't. This just feels like everyone is going all out and trying to schtick it to us, which is honestly a little less fun. Hopefully that fades away soon once people have to really start strategizing.

i think the line will blur when we swap them and they mix. Itll be a totally different dynamic.

That being said, there were several new players in Costa Rica, probably 4 or 5 totally new to online gaming and several who had not played more than 1 game and several who had played games on probaords and different sources, different types of games. A lot of vets who had retired and were bring brought back for the first time in years. So...

Postby Brenda Lowe » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:59:39 pm

OfflineBrenda Lowe
    Host
    Take away the vets, & I think percentagewise we're about the same?

You have JT & Marty who are brand new first timers. Jill is barely experienced with one game not even finished yet.

Then there is JJ, Tyrone, Jane & Dan who each have 2-7 games played, but they are all far from Vets - each is definitely still developing a style and have yet to learn a lot of the harsher lessons.

The three of WendyJo, Yve & Hoho have a ton of experience each. But WJ is still a hotmess in every second game, and Yve fell out of the circuit for a long time. Hoho is the only one who I'd say is a top-tier player with solid experience that I expect to act like a veteran player, but even she comes with a ton of baggage that might lead to some noobie errors - see her targeting every other Aussie for example.

Postby Jeff Probst » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:29:39 pm

OfflineJeff Probst
    Host
    I'm not knocking the cast, it's an amazing group of new players, it's just different from costa rica. I wanted that though, which is why we didn't actively seek out new players, it's supposed to be experienced players vs. failed vets. That's what works.

Postby Chad Crittenden » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:20:00 pm

OfflineChad Crittenden
    Host
    Brenda Lowe wrote:I'm scratching my head at JJ myself. This is not him at all. It's not quite a schtick per se, more he's trying a different approach to the game - coming from a defeatist angle and seeing how well he can do with it if you follow? Trouble is, I'd like to see his genuine thoughts in his confessional, but I know when he's played into character before he goes all the way and does confessionals in persona too :/ If he's insisting on playing this way, I'd much rather he explain himself in private. I'm gonna see if I can coax that out of him to at least fill us in on his approach, without affecting his game.

I just can't imagine if I got a PM like that from someone that I would be all like "ZOMG I want to work with Jimmy J". icon_lol It's interesting. Hopefully he'll explain in his confessional what his approach really is and how he thinks this will further him in the game.

Postby Chad Crittenden » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:23:41 pm

OfflineChad Crittenden
    Host
    Chad Crittenden wrote:
    Brenda Lowe wrote:I'm scratching my head at JJ myself. This is not him at all. It's not quite a schtick per se, more he's trying a different approach to the game - coming from a defeatist angle and seeing how well he can do with it if you follow? Trouble is, I'd like to see his genuine thoughts in his confessional, but I know when he's played into character before he goes all the way and does confessionals in persona too :/ If he's insisting on playing this way, I'd much rather he explain himself in private. I'm gonna see if I can coax that out of him to at least fill us in on his approach, without affecting his game.

I just can't imagine if I got a PM like that from someone that I would be all like "ZOMG I want to work with Jimmy J". icon_lol It's interesting. Hopefully he'll explain in his confessional what his approach really is and how he thinks this will further him in the game.

Jane makes up for any annoying schtick players. icon_biggrin And honestly Tyrone is bringing the lulz too.

Postby Brenda Lowe » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:37:36 pm

OfflineBrenda Lowe
    Host
    I am slowly sifting through the noob PMs now that they've slowed down some, and Tyrone reminds me of Ted in Greece :o He has that same PM style. It's not that he's holding back info, he just doesn't feel the need to offer it up unnecessarily unless you directly ask for it. Without quoting word for word, the foursome was already set in motion by Dan, and Holly & Ty's conversation went a little like;

H- So who do you like?
    Ty- I like you
    H- I'm feeling Dan & Jill too
    Ty- Yeah, I like you Dan & Jill
    H- Sooo you think that might be a good foursome? The others are kinda talking about it already.
    Ty- Yeah I already knew that. I'm cool with that.

^That would drive me nuts in an ally. You gotta give a little with me. But it's working for him, and it sure as hell worked for Ted.

Postby Kim Mullen » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:30:12 pm

OfflineKim Mullen
    Costa Rican Champion
    This is no fair icon_cry I like too many people. Fortunately I'm sure Jimmy T. will be the first one gone regardless.

Postby Chad Crittenden » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:11:37 pm

OfflineChad Crittenden
    Host
    Tyrone has a thing against the letter S.

Postby Kim Mullen » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:56:35 pm

OfflineKim Mullen
    Costa Rican Champion
    Erica and Jimmy J. are literally a match made in heaven. Them to run this shit please.

Postby Jeff Probst » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:19:00 pm

OfflineJeff Probst
    Host
    Yea the pairings are shockingly similar... Ted and Jill, Jimmy J and Erica, Jake and Wendy Jo, Dan and Fabio... i mean theyre all pretty much duplicates.

Postby Chad Crittenden » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:40:04 am

OfflineChad Crittenden
    Host
    Brook totally blew up any potential game Jolanda had. Oh Brook. He basically asked Jolanda about forming an alliance with the two of them, plus Ken and Jake and Ted. Jolanda just responded back that she would take out Ted and put in Erica who she apparently likes (even though Erica can't stand her). That's all she did. So Brook sends a PM to Erica mentioning that Jolanda proposed a potential alliance to him with Erica in it, and Erica flips out and now wants Jolanda to go first, which without the swap it doesn't seem like anyone would give a shit to cut Jolanda first. What's even sorta funnier, is Brook didn't even tell Erica that Jolanda had already formed the alliance, he just said she WANTED it.

Brook to Erica:
    I have no idea though, i tried talking to Jol about alliances and she wanted her, me, you, jake and Ken but no one else is talking about them even when i try to bring up the subject

But somehow that was enough to push Erica over the edge and everyone is sorta agreeing to boot Jolanda first as an easy first boot. I wonder what will happen after the swap, but I don't think she's gonna make it very long. Her PMs are really boring too.

Next

Return to Blogs